Values and goals

Saturday, January 02, 2010



This is the time of year that many of us start thinking about new beginnings. We re-apply focus to things that we've let slip and bring to bear new missions and projects. The clean slate of January is strangely inspiring even if it is only an imagined fresh start. I am not immune to this influence and, as usual, have been working on my goals for the new year.

Instead of asking myself what needs to change in my life, I gave some thought to my values. I came up with a list of six things that are unwavering as far as what I believe in. These are the things that I honor with my goals and choices and that I carry with me always. My goals for 2010 will be in-line with these guiding principles.

  1. Continue learning, growing, and experiencing new things as an individual, as a friend, as a couple, and as a family.
  2. Create loving, supportive, unhurried relationships in my home and with those that I love.
  3. Live simply. Purge stuff (negative relationships, energy-sucking and unnecessary things). Do this regularly. Be rigorous. Don’t be in a hurry.
  4. Nurture myself physically (exercise, food, body care, sleep, sunlight), mentally (downtime, nature, writing, good conversation, boundaries, creativity), and spiritually (meditation, fellowship and community). Support my husband in nurturing himself and teach my children the necessity of this for themselves.
  5. Be grateful, be kind, be honest, be real.
  6. Spend my time passionately and not unnecessarily. Live congruently with what I believe in; every day and in every way.
What about you? Have you written goals or resolutions for 2010? Do you have a list of values that you would like to share? Please leave a comment or send me a e-mail. I would love to hear from you!

You Might Also Like

1 comments