Morning after (tri training) breakfast

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Oatmeal is an excellent vehicle for all kinds of things. As I am slowly ramping my triathlon training, I sometimes feel like I need an extra nutrient-rich breakfast after a hard evening of tri training. I am always experimenting with my oatmeal by adding new things. This week I am eating a mix that is really high in protein, iron, fiber, and omega 3s. In my bowl:

1/2 a large apple or 1 large banana, chopped
1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup soymilk
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
1 tsp maca powder
Dash of cinnamon

1. Combine the fruit, oats, and milk and cook (stovetop or microwave) until it starts to thicken.

2. Stir in peanut butter then add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Note: The chia seeds have a tendency to thicken the mixture so you can pour a little extra soymilk (or other non-dairy milk) over the top if you wish.

I don't care for really sweet breakfast foods so I usually pass on adding any sweetener. If you prefer a sweeter version, drizzle a bit of real maple syrup on the top.

You Might Also Like

0 comments