Raw foods

Monday, June 14, 2010

My interest in raw foods has been gradually growing over time and I have recently been incorporating more and more raw meals into my diet. Why raw? For a good overview, see the Living Light Culinary Arts Institute explanation here. For me, eating raw means eating whole and living (think sprouted) foods. Eating this way makes me feel great and like I'm burning clean fuel. My goal is not to transition entirely to a raw foods diet- I love "hot-out-of-the-oven" things in the colder months. I simply want to expand my recipe repertoire by experimenting with new ways of preparing whole foods. Now that it is 90+ degrees, I'm ready to leave the oven off for awhile and enjoy all of the fruits and veggies that are in season this time of year in their most natural state.

Raw chili: Tonight I made raw chili with nut "meat" created by Ani Phyo (recipe here). The chili had a great flavor and the nut "meat" was fantastic (I added fresh cilantro to mine). I'm already looking forward to lunch tomorrow because I know I have leftovers!

Dessert: After the chili I was craving something sweet. I invented this (almost raw) dessert that I called "choconana"- delish! We ate this so fast that I forgot to take a photo but here is my recipe.

Choconana
Serves 2
1/4 cup unsalted macadamia nuts
1/2 cup raw cashews
4 pitted dates
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 vanilla bean)
~1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
~ 1/2 cup water
2 bananas


  1. Place all ingredients except for the bananas in a blender and blend until very smooth. Add more water, if necessary- the consistency should be similar to pudding.
  2. Slice the bananas and pour the chocolate sauce over the top. Enjoy!
I have some more raw meals planned for later in the week. I will share my discoveries and creations with you. If you have a favorite recipe or website about raw foods that you would like to share, I'd love to hear from you!

You Might Also Like

4 comments